Frequently Asked Questions
I need help myself, where can I turn?
- Through our Impact Fund, United Way partners with 211 for non-emergency services in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. 211 is free, confidential, and available 24/7 to connect you to valuable health and human services resources in your local community. You can access 211 by dialing 2-1-1 from any landline or cellphone, visiting https://211sepa.org or https://www.nj211.org/, or texting or texting your zip code to 898-211.
Can I designate my gift?
- We’re committed to championing giving and involvement in our community and want to help you support the causes that matter most to you. We’re able to monitor outcomes from gifts you make to the Impact Fund only. Nonprofits must comply with the Patriot Act. Ineligible designations will go to the Impact Fund. United Way charges an administrative fee of 12.5% on each designated gift before distribution. In accordance with IRS requirements, we acknowledge no goods or services were exchanged for your gift and do not consider your pledge to be a legally binding commitment.
Will I get a tax receipt for my gift?
- All tax receipts for cash, check or credit card gifts of $250 or more that are given in the fall of 2021 will be emailed by March 2022. Please provide a preferred email address on your paper or electronic form to make sure you receive your receipt. IRS regulations don’t require nonprofits to send tax receipts for payroll deduction gifts so for gifts given by payroll deduction, keep a copy of your paper pledge form or email confirmation, as well as an employer furnished document that shows the amount withheld for your gift. For gifts of stock/securities, United Way will mail a tax receipt within 30 days of donation.
What is “leadership giving”?
- A gift of $1,000+ makes you a Leadership donor. We have four Giving Societies:
- • Leadership ($1,000-$4,999)
• Visionary Circle ($5,000-$9,999)
• Tocqueville Society ($10,000 or above)
• Kind Society (gifts of $1,000 or more to United Way’s Impact Fund)
- We offer a step-up program that helps you increase your gift incrementally each year while still being recognized at a full Leadership giving level from year one. For information, visit unitedforimpact.org/ways-to-support/individuals.