Manager, Events and Engagement
United Way of Greater Philadelphia and Southern New Jersey’s (United Way) mission is to end poverty and expand opportunity for all. We are focused on new approaches to harnessing the collective power of our region to help individuals and families break the cycle of poverty, and new ways of engaging and investing in the communities we serve. We deploy several tools to that end, including:
- Convening local and national leaders to build and execute high-impact strategies to reduce economic insecurity in the region.
- Motivating individual, corporate, and institutional philanthropy.
- Investing in evidence-based programming to increase opportunity and employment, ensure financial empowerment for families, and resource high quality early education.
- Measuring progress and strengthening the nonprofit sector in data/evaluation, leadership, and organizational effectiveness
The Events and Engagement Manager will be a key player in designing and executing successful events that raise awareness, generate crucial funds to support United Way’s mission, and create special and memorable experiences for attendees. This role, reporting to the Director of Engagement and Communications, involves strategic planning, relationship building, and seamless execution of events that align with our mission and engage our diverse stakeholders, with a primary focus on maximizing fundraising opportunities.
The Events and Engagement Manager role is an at-will employee of the United Way. The organization’s primary work location is in Center City, Philadelphia, and offers a hybrid work environment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Event Planning and Strategy:
- Work with the Director of Engagement and Communications to develop and implement a strategic events plan designed to engage, educate, and inspire key stakeholders including current and prospective donors.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to establish event objectives, target audiences, and financial targets.
- Plan and execute various events, including the annual OpportUNITY Summit, donor education and appreciation events, and nonprofit partner engagement initiatives.
- Work with Mission team to ensure programmatic initiatives are appropriately featured.
- Support Director of Engagement in the creation of high-quality program content, including drafting event agendas, session descriptions, and speaker talking points.
- Collaborate with marketing team to develop event communications for print, website and social media.
- When applicable, manage event vendor relationships.
Fundraising and Stakeholder Engagement:
- Work with fellow members of the Development team to design and implement effective fundraising campaigns in conjunction with events, including maximizing sponsorship contributions prior to events and programs.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with donors, sponsors, and community partners to enhance fundraising opportunities.
- Work with organizational leadership to develop unique and meaningful engagement opportunities for United Way supporters and stakeholders.
- Collaborate with the marketing team to promote events and fundraising initiatives effectively.
- Act as the primary point of contact for event-related inquiries and donor communications.
- Oversee all aspects of event logistics, ensuring seamless coordination and execution.
- Manage budgeting, expense tracking, and financial reporting for each event, with a focus on fundraising goals.
- Utilize internal CRM and create other in-house database tools to manage invitations, create registration pages, collect payments if applicable, track RSVPs, and finalize attendee information.
Team Collaboration and Coordination:
- Work closely with cross-functional teams, including marketing, communications, and development teams, to integrate events into overall organizational strategies.
- Provide guidance and support to volunteers, event staff, and fundraising committees.
- Bachelor’s degree in Event Management, Fundraising, Marketing, or a related field or commensurate experience.
- Proven experience (minimum three years) in nonprofit event planning and fundraising.
- Ability to be highly creative and proactive in engaging key stakeholders
- Strong organizational, project management, and multitasking skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with donor relations, fundraising strategies, and CRM systems is required.
The hiring range for this role accounts for the many factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs.
UWGPSNJ promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds. UWGPSNJ does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected factor.