We’re turning 100!
United Way of Greater Philadelphia and Southern New Jersey is proud to celebrate 100 years of building a better, stronger future to help communities thrive.
Thank you to our amazing donors, volunteers, and partners who have continued to invest in opportunities throughout the communities we serve.
A history of helping
1887: The first United Way campaign launched in Denver, CO, benefiting 10 health and welfare agencies
1921: Our region’s first United Way was formed, bringing together people and resources across the community
- 2000: United Way joined forces to establish 2-1-1, a free hotline that helps millions of people find resources, 24-7
- 2010: The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) was established to provide free tax services to those in need
- 2012: The Hurricane Sandy Recovery Fund was formed in partnership with area United Way’s to meet the needs of recovering communities
- 2017: Local United Way’s merged to form United Way of Greater Philadelphia and Southern New Jersey
2020: In response to Covid-19, the PHL Covid-19 Fund was formed and gave over $18M to help nonprofit partners on the frontlines
- 2021: Milestone reached of 100 years serving the community with a focus to continue advancing poverty-fighting efforts into the future