“Oh the places you’ll go”… if you join the movement
Tue, February 28, 2017
“The more you read, the more things you know. The more you learn, the more places you'll go!”
Dr. Seuss said it first, but we can all agree: reading is the foundation to quality education.
It seems elementary, but the fact is, too many students in our communities just don’t have the tools they need to reach their potential and thrive, in and out of school.
Did you know:
- Kids who can’t read proficiently by the end of third grade are four times more likely to drop out of high school
- 7,000 students throughout our region each year drop out of high school.
- 40% of adults in the Philadelphia area lack basic reading skills to navigate daily tasks like filling out job applications, reading instructions on prescriptions or helping children with homework.
That’s why during Read Across America Week, United Way’s Project NEXT invites you to join us and tackle our region’s literacy crisis with our top three tips to join the movement:
Join the Read Across America Week Campaign!
By donating through Project NEXT’s Read Across America Campaign, we can ensure more children have access to grade-level reading material and resources to help them learn. Your donation* could:
- Provide students with literacy kits, new books and educational activities.
- Give children new books to start an at-home library.
- Outfit an entire classroom with resources like books, teacher training and extra support for struggling readers.
YOU can make a difference: Give now!
Raise your voice for students!
Join the conversation this week @PhillySJUnited on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram using the hashtags #ReadAcrossAmericaWeek and #ProjectNEXT! And don’t forget to advocate for our littlest learners by asking your legislators to expand high-quality pre-k to NJ and PA communities.
Volunteer to tutor or read to children in your community! In the wise words of Dr. Seuss, “You’re never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child.”
Thanks for all you do to ensure students enjoy a quality education, from cradle to career. Together, we can drive measurable, lasting Impact for our region’s readers!
*All proceeds raised will support United Way’s Early Grade Reading Initiative and will directly help schools and nonprofits throughout our region.